David Wall is a director at Vicenti, Lloyd & Stutzman. Mr. Wall has over 25 years of experience in litigation in southern California, devoted exclusively to financial investigations and litigation forensics.
Mr. Wall has significant experience in all phases of litigation, serving as a financial investigator, litigation consultant, and testifying expert. His engagements have concerned financial disputes involving white-collar fraud, conversion and embezzlement, shareholder and partnership disputes, purchase and sale disputes, breach of contract and fiduciary duty, unfair competition, fraudulent transfer, alter-ego and vicarious liability, and economic damages analysis, in both civil and criminal actions.
Mr. Wall has testified as an expert witness on accounting and financial issues in both jury and bench trials in California Superior Court, as well as at preliminary hearing, arbitration, and deposition. Testimony highlights include:
- Appointed by plaintiff’s counsel in a dispute among members of a privately held LLC. Allegations involved fraud, embezzlement, and breach of fiduciary duty. Expertise included financial investigation and analysis of banking and accounting records. Rendered two-and-a-half days of expert testimony at bench trial. Matter is pending.
- Appointed by the Los Angeles County Superior Court on behalf of criminal defendant in an internal embezzlement matter. Rendered expert testimony at jury trial. Expertise included detailed evaluation of the reliability of prosecution’s accounting evidence. Matter is on appeal.
- Appointed by plaintiff’s counsel in a dispute among shareholders of a privately held corporation, which conceived and produced an annual pop culture convention. Allegations involved fraud, embezzlement, breach of fiduciary duty, and money had and received. Expertise included financial investigation and analysis of banking and accounting records. Rendered expert testimony in declaration form, and at deposition. Matter is pending.
- Appointed by respondent’s counsel. Rendered expert testimony at bench trial, in reference to equalization, Watts charges, reimbursements, free cash flow for support, and attorneys’ fees. Substantial cash flow was discovered, far in excess of petitioner’s representations. Consequently a significant spousal support order was issued in favor of respondent.
- Appointed by counsel for defendant and cross-complainant. Rendered expert testimony at arbitration, in reference to damages suffered by judgment creditor arising from attorney’s failure to record judicial lien upon real property. Matter is pending.
- Appointed by defense counsel on behalf of defendant in a dispute among shareholders of a number of business entities which own and operate a number of franchise restaurants in several states. Rendered expert testimony in declaration form, and at deposition. Expertise included analysis of business records in relation to allegations of waste and embezzlement, as well as breach of fiduciary duty, breach of a covenant not to compete, and unfair competition. Matter is pending.
- Appointed by the Los Angeles County Superior Court on behalf of criminal defendant in a real estate fraud matter. Rendered expert testimony at jury trial. Expertise included characteristics of a Ponzi scheme, and allocation of overhead in construction projects. Defendant was found not guilty of all charges.
- Appointed by respondent’s counsel. Rendered expert testimony at deposition and bench trial, in reference to alleged misappropriation of assets of community-owned construction company. Matter was settled to the satisfaction of client subsequent to testimony.
- Appointed by Riverside County District Attorney. Rendered expert testimony at preliminary hearing and jury trial, in criminal matter regarding an alleged real estate Ponzi scheme. Victims’ losses estimated at $4.9 million. Defendant was found guilty of 41 counts of securities fraud, grand theft, and burglary, and was sentenced to 26 years in state prison.
- Appointed by plaintiff’s counsel. Rendered expert testimony at deposition, in reference to calculation of lost-revenue damages sustained by dentist in a dog attack. Matter was settled to satisfaction of plaintiff subsequent to testimony.
- Appointed by plaintiff’s counsel. Rendered expert testimony at deposition, in reference to alleged fraudulent estate planning scheme and a number of related property transfers. Matter was settled to satisfaction of plaintiff subsequent to testimony.
- Appointed by plaintiff’s counsel. Rendered expert testimony at deposition and jury trial, in civil matter regarding an alleged fraudulent transfer of 60-acre residential development in Loma Linda, California. Matter is currently on appeal.
- Additionally testified as a fact witness regarding financial transactions and similar matters in approximately ten other civil litigation matters in federal district court, state superior court, and arbitration proceeding
Mr. Wall has served as a consulting expert on financial and accounting issues in hundreds of litigation matters, performing financial investigations, drafting discovery plans, assisting with the preparation and issuance of subpoenas, directing the reconstruction of bank, brokerage, and other financial records, assisting with interviews and depositions, and trial support. A list of representative cases is attached.
Mr. Wall served as an Accounting Instructor at Fullerton College in Fullerton, CA during the 2011-12 academic year, teaching courses in introductory financial accounting. Additionally Mr. Wall served as a Lecturer at the University of California, Riverside during the fall 2011 quarter, teaching courses in introductory and intermediate financial accounting.
Mr. Wall is a four-time presenter to the International Conference of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, as well as national conferences of the Institute of Internal Auditors, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, and the Commercial Law League of America. Additionally Mr. Wall has given over fifty technical presentations to local professional organizations including the California Society of CPAs, Institute of Management Accountants, Association of Government Accountants, Los Angeles County Bar Association, American Society for Industrial Security, International Association of Special Investigation Units, California Association of Licensed Investigators, Southern California Fraud Investigators Association, Construction Financial Management Association, and the California Society of Municipal Finance Officers.
- American Institute of Certified Public AccountantsCalifornia Society of Certified Public Accountants
- State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- ACFE-Los Angeles Chapter (Current President)
- ACFE-Inland Empire Chapter (Past President)